Tips in Conserving Water at Home
As some people are enjoying an abundant supply of water, there are actually some parts of the world that is suffering from water scarcity.
However, there are concerned homeowners who are looking for ways to save water. If you are also interested, below are things you can do in order to minimize your water consumption.
1. Make your showers short. The common concept of showers for people is being able to use less water than the usual baths. However, this is only true when you have shorter showers. Longer showers actually use up more amount of water than the amount you use with the average bath.
Much more water is consumed if you are using the older showers. Several gallons of water are used up by these showers in a minute. So if you are interested to save water, then make your showers shorter.
2. Don’t wait too long to repair leaks. You can lose several tons of water if you let your leaking pipe unsolved. That is why, it is recommended for homeowners to always check their pipes during water work plumbing. This is not just to save the environment, but also to avoid additional water bills.
3. Don’t water your lawn. Although you may want to keep your lawn green and bright, this can consume a lot of water than what you can use with showers and baths. However, this doesn’t mean that you kill your lawn.
What you need to do is to maintain a smaller lawn or replace it with shrubs and gravel landscaping. It is also good to find grasses which will not easily die during hot summer months. You just have to be very wise in picking a choice.
4. Have a rain collector. If you want a very obvious way on how to conserve water, the building your own rain collector is a great idea. You can store rain water in it which you can use especially during summer months. Just attach a sprinkler or hose to it.
5. Modern toilets are a huge help. Older toilets tend to use up more water compared to the modern ones. This is sure a very eco-friendly practice you must consider. Manufacturers today are also finding ways on how to save water through creating new toilets.
6. Watering plants is smart when done in the morning. If you water your plants early in the morning, then the sun will not evaporate all the water because the soil has already soaked it.
These are the different things you can do at home in order to help conserve water. And as we save water everyday, we can sure save the environment as well.