How to Build Your Own Solar Hot Water Heater
Are you cognizant of the truth that our water heaters consume significant amount of energy than the other household and electrical appliances and gadgets you have at home? Are you searching for ways to reduce your electricity consumption? In case you are one of these individuals, then it is suggested that you construct you own solar hot water heater. How is this possible? For those who are interested to learn about these solar water heaters and how to build one, then be sure to peruse this article further.
Why Use Solar Energy in Powering Water Heaters?
Solar energy is utilized in this particular project simply because it is not only affordable but it is also deemed as among the cleanest renewable energy source these days. For the reason that solar energy is considered one of the cleanest sources of renewable energy and it does not produce carbon dioxide, you can protect Mother Nature in your own little way.
Researchers found that solar hot water heater has the capability of reducing your heating costs by around 50%. So, should you be searching for effectual method to reduce your monthly electricity bill, then you can consider constructing your own solar water heater. No doubt, the construction of solar-powered water heater is the most efficient method to lower your monthly electricity consumption and bill. Well,going green is deemed as the surest and the most effective way of saving money. Listed underneath are steps on how to build a solar-powered water heater.
How the Solar Hot Water Heater Works?
Just like the conventional water heaters, the solar-powered water heater has a heating coil and water tank. The water is pre-heated by trapping the rays of the sun inside the water tank and the heating coil. The heated water then flows to the water pipes and to your bathroom or kitchen.
Steps in Constructing Solar Hot Water Heater
1. The first thing that you need to do is to construct a box. You can use 2x4s durable plywood or particle board for the box’s frame and exterior. Make sure that you construct a box that is large enough to contain the full-size water heater. The box should measure about seven feet long four feet wide and five feet tall. It should also be built on 30-degree angle so as to collect adequate amount of sunlight.
2. Next thing that you should do is to insulate the heater’s interior areas utilizing sturdy insulation materials.
3. Be sure to integrate reflective material above the insulation using roofing galvanize tin. Make sure that to shape it comparable to a gigantic metal cradle and don’t forget to secure it with the use of nails or staples. This huge reflective curved tin will catch the sun’s rays and pass it to your water heater.
4. Make sure that you place the water heater inside the big box and don’t forget to cut holes to serve as its blow-out emergency nozzle.
5. Be sure to cover the box using outdoor-grade glass. Secure the sides by painting it with wood sealant.
6. Afterwards, you can now hooked up the solar-powered water heater to your present water heater inside your house.
Advanced reading: official source